Are you feeling stressed or anxious? Here is a 6-minute Mantra + Mudra practice to calm the nervous system, get you out of your analytic mind and relieve stress.
The Mantra Aham Brahmasmi means I am TOTALITY. It indicated a union with the higher self, and the vibration of this mantra helps us move away from the egoic, isolated self into unity.
Take a seat either in a chair with your feet planted on the ground, or you can sit cross legged with a long straight spine. Start with 3 minutes of alternate nostril breathing:
Alternate Nostril Breathing :: Nadi Shodhana
1. Relax your left palm comfortably into your lap and bring your right hand just in front of your face.
2. With your right hand, bring your pointer finger and middle finger to rest between your eyebrows, lightly using them as an anchor. The fingers we’ll be actively using are the thumb and ring finger.
3. Close your eyes and take a deep breath in and out through your nose.
4. Close your right nostril with your right thumb. Inhale through the left nostril slowly and steadily.
5. Close the left nostril with your ring finger so both nostrils are held closed; retain your breath at the top of the inhale for a brief pause.
6. Open your right nostril and release the breath slowly through the right side; pause briefly at the bottom of the exhale.
7. Inhale through the right side slowly.
8. Hold both nostrils closed (with ring finger and thumb).
(See Video of this breath here)
Now move into the gyan mudra by bringing the thumb and pointer finger to touch, resting down on your legs. This mudra calms the restless mind and brings us into a meditative state. Now silently (or out loud) repeat this mantra for 3 minutes.